Mr. Frank Long was still principal and the faculty was increased to nineteen
members. Those who left a lasting impression on
the community during this period were: Mrs. Mattie Dove Young, Mrs. Lucy
MacAdoo, Mrs. Nellie Eden, Mrs. Rosetta Graham, Mrs. Lucille Buchanan, and Mr.
Milton Callaway. Mr. Long was succeeded as principal by R.C. Barrow, J.H.
McAllister, G.W. Ish, and Percy Goldstein after whom the present Goldstein
School was named.
After Mr. Goldstein's death, Coy Carr, a nephew of Judge J.C. Carr, became
principal. He was followed by Edwin Bayliss, French J. Hicks followed
Bayliss as principal in 1941. Although Langston never had more than 250
students in the senior high school, the values of courage, loyalty, and
preparation were instilled to the extent that the school became know throughout
this section of the country for its prowess in forensics, music, drama, and
athletics. The name Langston Bulldogs demanded respect throughout this
In 1941, Mr. H.A. Henderson followed French Hicks as principal. In 1949,
the intermediate grades were transferred to Goldstein School and Langston become
a junior-senior high school. In 1950, Langston was accredited by the North
Central Association, thereby becoming the third black school in Arkansas to be
so recognized by perhaps the most respected acrediting agency in America.
In 1964, Langston again entered a new modernly equipped building, this time
facing Chestnut Street. In the minds of most people, this was a signal for
a new era in the story of Langston. This was true, but in a different
direction to what was anticipated. Progress dictated that Langston in 1968
should become a junior high school and Mrs. Johnnie B. Henderson would become
principal in 1969. Mr. Henderson moved to an administrative position and
remained there until his retirement.